Contributed By: Adventures in Freeze Drying: For Beginners
About 5lbs of Apples yielded 4 medium trays, triple stacked with parchment between layers*
- Clean your apples and then you can leave skin, or peel (An apple corer works great for this.
- Core, and thinly slice apples (Apple corer/slicer works great for this) trying to keep apples the same thickness.
- If you want to dip your apples in a lemon juice bath to keep from browning do this as you slice the apples.
- Put parchment down on your tray, layer apples, sprinkle with cinnamon if you desire.
- I did 3 single layer layers on my trays, putting parchment between each layer.
- Pre-Freeze or add directly to machine and Freeze Dry
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
My cycle time in a medium freeze dryer with a premier pump was 24 hours.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray