Contributed By: Live. Life. Simple.
This recipe will make about 2 Large Freeze Dry Trays *
- Cook Wild Rice First (it takes a while)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Snap off stems of acorn squash, cut squash in 1/2 lengthwise, scoop out seeds and pith
- Place squash cut side down on a baking sheet (DO NOT USE OIL!!) Bake 25-30 Minutes
- While Squash is baking: Brown panko bread crumbs in a frying pan (using little to no oil).Add browned panko to a small bowl and add parsley & garlic salt.
- In a frying pan, add a small amount of veggie broth (see freeze dried veggie broth recipe) and cook mushrooms, onions & garlic for 5-6 minutes, then add Kale and cook until Kale is wilted
- Transfer mushroom mixture to a mixing bowl and add raisins, soy sauce, sherry, honey & rice and mix together.
- Fill cavities of cooked squash and top with Panko Bread Crumbs Mixture. Bake for an additional 10-30 minutes until fully cooked
- Remove skins from squash and evenly distribute on freeze drying pans
- Add dividers if using. Pre Freeze
- Store Appropriately. (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
My time was 38 Hrs. in a Large Freeze Dryer
Slowly add boiling water and mix, then cover for 5 minutes and mix again.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.
This looks delicious, but will the squash fit on the FD’er trays?
Freeze Drying Cookbook replied:
I don’t think the squash would fit just cut in half. In the video I scoop it out of the squash shell and flatten it a bit on the trays.