A Freeze Dried Pantry Recipe
Contributed By: Adventures in Freeze Drying
This recipe will fill 1 medium HarvestRight tray*
- Scald, ice bath, and peel peaches. Remove flesh from pits, and cut into small pieces for your pie. (My Pie recipe calls for 7 cups of peaches, you can use your favorite pie recipe and adjust the amount of peaches)
- Line your tray with parchment (these are quite stuck together when done and would have been stuck to my tray and partially destroyed if I had not used parchment)
- Spread your prepared peaches onto your lined tray, weigh your tray and record it, then cover with a lid.
- Freeze until frozen solid
- Remove lid and freeze dry
- Before removing from your tray for storage, get another weight. Subtract the second weight from the first weight, this is the amount of water lost. Record the amount of water lost to your label for storage to help with rehydration.
about 31 hours
I would recommend starting with a little less than half of the amount of water lost during the freeze drying process. You can add more water if needed.
* Extra Large Tray = 15 Cups/Tray Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.