A Freeze Dried Pantry Recipe
Contributed By: Adventures in Freeze Drying
This recipe will fill 1 medium tray with meat crumbles*
- Add spices if desired to the uncooked meat and mix together. Let sit 5-10 minutes
- Over medium-medium high heat cook the hamburger or sausage in a large pot until cooked through completely, stirring frequently to help make it crumble.
- Using a colander, strain the meat and let the grease drain off.
- Remove grease from the cooking pot, rinse the hamburger well, return to pot, and cover with HOT Water
- Let sit for at least an hour, ( or with hamburger you can put it in the fridge overnight and remove solidified fat from the surface)
- Dump the meat into a colander again and let the water drip off.
- Turn onto a cookie sheet with paper towels and pat dry.
- Spread evenly on a parchment lined tray, cover with a lid and freeze until solid.
- Remove Lid and Freeze Dry
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
Approximately 94g of freeze dried hamburger or 80g of sausage has the same volume as a 1 lb package of cooked meat.
22 hours including 9 hours of extra dry time.
- Add 2 C of Broth to the equivalent of 1 lb of cooked meat. Stir and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Move to a pan on the stove, and cook off any remaining broth over low-medium low heat in a simmer.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.