Contributed By: Live. Life. Simple.
One recipe makes a little more than 1 medium tray of Refried Beans*
- Soak your pinto beans for 8 or more hours (water needs to be 4-5 inches deeper than bean level)
- Rinse and strain the beans
- Place the beans into the instant pressure cooker pot.
- Add the garlic, onion and 3 Cups of water.
- Cook on High Pressure for 30 minutes with a natural release.
- Add the seasonings, and then use an immersion blender or food processor, add water to thin if you want.
- Line a tray with pre-cut parchment, spread beans out evenly (add dividers if you want to pre-portion for meals) , cover with a lid and freeze until solid.
- Freeze dry
- Powder the beans before storing.
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
In a medium mixed load my cycle time was about 39 hours
Add a little bit of water, stir, let sit for a few minutes. Repeat until you reach desired consistency.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.
When I made this recipe, I ended up with 3 medium trays instead of a little over 1? I had 1000g on 2 of them and 920 g on the other. I thought it needed more seasoning (might be my personal taste buds). I did add some medium heat picante sauce to it as I was processing them in my food processor in batches. That might account for some of the extra weight. I used 1/2 to 2/3 of a 24 oz. jar.