Contributed By: John in Bibs
This recipe will make 3 medium trays, with a little left over*
- In a large pot following the directions for quick soak, soak the entire bag of peas.
- While the beans are cooking, put the ham, onions, celery, and peppers in a crockpot. Add 32 oz of the Chicken Broth and cook on high until the beans are done, rinsed, and have sat.
- Add the beans to the crockpot, and the rest of the chicken stock, garlic, Liquid Smoke, and cajun seasoning. Add enough water to make sure the peas are covered, turn the crock pot to low and let cook for 5 hours.
- Add the collard greens once your beans are almost cooked. Cook on low for 1 more hour.
- On a silicone lined tray, ladle soup and spread evenly on trays. Use dividers set to the ten portion configuration and put those in place. Cover with a lid, freeze until frozen solid.
- Remove Lids and Freeze Dry.
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
1 serving is 3 squares, rehydrate using 1 cup boiling water, mix cover and let sit for 2 minutes, check stir, add more water if desired and let sit 2 more minutes.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.