Contributed By: Adventures in Freeze Drying: For Beginners
1 recipe will fill 2 medium trays*
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the box
- While cooking the pasta, cook the custard dressing
- Rinse the pasta, and then combine pasta and dressing in a large bowl, chill for 1 hour
- Add the Whipped Topping, fruit, and marshmallows (you can substitute a can of fruit cocktail for the mandarin oranges)
- Spread evenly on lined trays, cover with a lid, and pre-freeze
- Freeze Dry
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
Custard Dressing Directions:
- In a heavy saucepan, beat the egg until foamy
- Stir in sugar, flour and salt
- Stir in reserved pineapple juice
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly
Running 4 full trays of pre-frozen Frog Eye Salad in a medium freeze dryer my cycle was about 30 hours
Best: Use cold water, add a little bit of cold water, stir, let sit for 5 minutes, add more, stir, let sit for 5 minutes. Cold water will take about 1 hour for full rehydration, this will turn out the creamiest.
Fast: Add a little bit of boiling water, stir, cover, let sit for 5 minutes, check, stir, cover, and let sit another 5 minutes.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.