Contributed By: John in Bibs
This recipe makes 1 Harvest Right Medium Tray*
- You will want to use a 3:1 ratio of Water to Ketchup
- I started with 1 C Ketchup and 1 C of boiling Water and stirred
- Then dump in the bowl and add 2 C of boiling water 1 cup at a time stirring after each
- Put in your parchment or silicone lined freeze dryer tray with tray dividers and freeze
- Freeze Dry
- Using your hands, a food processor, plastic bag and a rolling pin, powder the ketchup. Do this as quickly as possible and get it put away. Store in mylar bags for long term storage, with an O2 absorber.
- Store Appropriately (see Tips and Tricks for storage help)
Add a little bit of cold water and stir until you reach desired consistency. You can add a splash of vinegar to bring back to a full bodied ketchup taste.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.
Why do you need to add water to the ketchup (and BBQ sauce) before FD? How did you come up with the 3 cups water to 1 part ketchup?