Contributed By: Live. Life. Simple.
This will make 2 medium trays *
- Rinse your tomatoes and core them. Drop them in a pot of boiling water for one minute.
- Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and put them in a bowl of ice water. Now the skins will slip off easily.
- Cut in half (quarters for larger tomatoes) and push the seeds out with your thumb.
- Add the tomatoes and all the ingredients (except baking soda) to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 7 hours. Stir occasionally if possible. The sauce should be reduced by about half.
- If you want a less chunky sauce, pulse it a few times with an immersion blender or mash it a bit with a potato masher or large spoon. Add the canned tomato paste at this point if you'd like a thicker sauce.
- Add the baking soda (it will foam a bit), salt and pepper, and additional herbs to taste.
- Put onto silicone lined trays, add dividers for portions, and pre freeze
- Freeze Dry
- Making this one day and then refrigerating it overnight gives it extra flavor
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
My cycle time was 30 and 1⁄2 hours in a medium freeze dryer with 3 trays full of liquid tomato products and 1 of tomato chips
Add water, stir, let sit, repeat until desired consistency is reached.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.