Contributed By: Live. Life. Simple.
1 recipe will fill two large freeze dryer trays*
- Boil your ham bone in a large stock pot for about an hour (pick as much meat off as you can first) add just enough water to boil the ham bone.
- While the ham bone cooks, dice 1 yellow onion, dice your two cloves of garlic, and dice up any meat from the bone.
- Trim as much fat from the ham as you can, use the leanest meat you can.
- You can either remove as much fat as possible from the hot bone broth, or cool the broth and remove hardened fat from the surface.
- Add all ingredients into your stock pot and cook on low for 3-5 hours, checking every hour for bean consistency. Add a little water as needed to cook beans completely.
- On a parchment lined tray, spread ham and beans evenly across the try, using dividers to portion, and lids to pre-freeze.
- Freeze dry
- Store appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
My cycle time running 5 large trays of Ham & Beans was about 45 hours.
Add a little boiling water, stir, let sit covered for 5 minutes, add more boiling water, stir, let stand again, repeat to meet desired consistency.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.