Contributed By: Live. Life. Simple.
This recipe makes approximately 9 cups *
- Since oil cannot be used, put a few tablespoons of broth at the bottom of large pot or large frying pan and add garlic, chopped onion and cook for a few minutes
- Add bell pepper and cook until onions are translucent
- In a separate pan cook lean ground beef and cook until browned (drain, rinse and towel to remove as much oil as possible)
- Take heat up to high & add ground beef back into the first frying pan and mix together then add in crushed tomatoes, remaining broth, drained kidney beans and macaroni.
- Add in spices and take heat down to medium for 10-12 minutes or until mac is cooked but firm, sauce should be thick, not water
- Add cheese if desired
- Line trays with Parchment or silicone mats. Add dividers to portion
- Pre Freeze
- Freeze Dry
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
Was 23hr 16min in large freeze dryer with premiere pump.
For 3.9 oz serving add 1.5 C boiling water, let sit for 5 min, stir and let sit for additional 5 min.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.
I made this last night, and it is delicious! I doubled the recipe and used 2 cans of Rotel Tomatoes and 2 cans of Tomato Sauce instead of the crushed tomatoes. I also left out the chili powder since the Rotel Tomatoes already had jalapenos int them. It made just enough for 4 medium size freeze dryer trays. I also made another recipe of it and had it for dinner. It fed 6 hungry people for dinner. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I plan to make another 4 trays to freeze dry.