A Freeze Dried Pantry Recipe
Contributed by: Martha Rayon
This recipe will fill 2 medium trays*
- After washing fruit well, cut fruit down into manageable pieces for your blender.
- Process the entire fruit until it is a mush (skins, pith, seeds, meat)
- On a lined tray, spread the mush relatively thinly filling 2 medium trays.
- Gently push dividers into the tray, cover with a lid, and freeze until solid. OR freeze for 30 minutes, pull out and score, and return to the freezer until frozen solid. Scoring will help to break up the citrus powder blocks.
- Remove the lid and freeze dry.
- When you think the cycle is done, weigh the trays, and put back into freeze dryer for another 2-6 hours (or use your FLIR camera to check for cold spots) remove trays and weight again. Continue until no weight (1g or less) has been lost.
- Powder, or store in squares and powder to use.
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
- Can be used in place of zest, or juice in recipes.
- Can also be added to smoothies.