Contributed By: Live. Life. Simple.
This recipe will make as many steaks as you choose to make*
*If you pre-cook the meat before freeze drying, your results for rehydration will be better.
- Trim all visible fat and if possible choose thin cut steaks (½” steaks do better than 1”)
- Sous vide (130 for 2 hours) or grill to medium rare (130 degrees) You can cook further when rehydrating if desired. Consider adding marinades or spices to the sous vide bag to cook in. If grilling, marinade or vacuum seal marinade your meat before cooking.
- If cooking sous vide, freeze the juice and freeze dry for use in rehydration
- Place the cooked steak on a pre-cut parchment lined freeze dryer tray (you can take a sharpie and write notes onto the parchment paper ie. raw, medium rare etc.)
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
This is where you can get creative! Rehydrate with your sous vide liquid, worcestershire, marinades, beer, spices, broth etc. Cooked meats rehydrate fully within 1 hour and cannot over rehydrate. Oil or Butter is helpful for adding the fat back into meat for texture and taste. Make sure you aren’t overcooking with hot liquids. If cooked sous vide, finish in a hot pan or sear for 1 minute on the grill.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.