Using Candy Mode
Contributed By: Adventures in Freeze Drying
Recommend 40-50 Nerd clusters per medium tray*
- Adjust the temperature on your machine (In the Customize Screen) to 150℉, set extra dry time to 12 or 24 hours. Save
- Start the machine, let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Line your trays with parchment paper
- I choose to use dividers set to 40 portions to keep my candy from sticking together, you can space out without dividers and carefully move trays into freeze dryer. The two middle trays on my medium freeze dryer work best for this.
- Place trays in your freeze dryer after the 15 minutes. Close the door, close the valve.
- Once the machine has cooled, it will have a toggle for Candy Mode that will say off, toggle to on.
- The machine will ask if you want to warm trays, select SKIP, you pump will turn in with in a few seconds.
- Let run for 4-6 hours (If your nerd clusters deflate when you take them out, they needed more dry time)
- At the end of the load it will give you the options for No Defrost, Start Another Candy Batch, and Defrost… you can immediately put more trays of candy in, it will give you the option to warm trays again etc.
- Store Appropriately: These are fragile and do not store well in mylar bags.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.