Contributed By: Adventures in Freeze Drying
This recipe will make as many trays of blueberries as you choose to freeze dry*
- Thaw blueberries in a colander until completely thawed
- On parchment lined trays, spread the blueberries out evenly into a single layer
- Freeze until frozen solid (24+ hours)
- Freeze Dry
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
Not intended, but these can be used in baking and smoothies etc.
* Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray
Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.
We have experienced major failure with FD blueberries, they were sticky and did not dry very well at all. These failures were when we first received the Medium Harvest Right over 3 years ago. We later learned that blueberries need to be punctured prior to FD. Fresh berries stick to the berry roller we purchased, and was just a mess.
Why do purchased frozen berries that are rinsed, thawed, and refrozen do not required to be punctured? How does this process allow the berries to fully freeze dry?
OR, we should try again with the newer software with the candy cycle.
I’m very curious!!