Contributed By: Adventures in Freeze Drying
15 pieces of Taffy cut into ¼’s per medium tray; 21 pieces of Taffy cut into ¼’s per large tray*
- Unwrap taffy and immediately cut into 1⁄4 's and place spaced apart on a parchment lined tray. I get 15 cut up pieces of taffy per medium tray and 21 per large tray. (Do not cut and put into a container and come back, or you will have a giant taffy glob. You can however cover your tray with a lid and leave until the next day etc.)
- Use stackers to make it easier to move trays to the freeze dryer without taffy sticking to the bottom of the next tray.
- Change the temperature setting on your machine to 135℉, let the initial cool down happen.
- Close the drain valve, if in a small or medium machine add Taffy, Click on for Candy Mode, Click Continue, Click Start and arrow time down to 0:00 this allows your machine to come up to temperature without any extra time at temp before vacuum pump kicks on. If in a Large or Extra Large machine you will want to wait until your machine is up to 115℉ or 125℉ before putting your taffy in, you don’t want to overwarm the taffy or it gets quite large and fragile.
- Let run for 4-6 hours or longer.
- Store Appropriately (See Tips and Tricks for storage help)
* Extra Large Tray = 15 Cups/Tray Large Tray = 8 Cups/tray Medium = 6 Cups/Tray Small = 4 Cups/Tray Cycle times & rehydration for reference only. Your results may vary.